Sunday, January 18, 2009

zzzzzzzz

Warning: this is long, and mainly for my own records so feel free to skip! cliff notes version: sleep issues, getting better, we are all tired! :)

We have had major sleep issues around our house the past 2 weeks. It kinda started while liza was in springfield, she refused to take any naps and my mom said it was like she was scared. she really hadn't been a great sleeper all through the christmas break because she was sick with one thing or another.
we had tried her in her big girl bed one night in december but it didn't go so hot and jason got the stomach bug that night and i was too tired to do it by myself the next night and then she got the bug so we never tried it again after that..
so anyways, when she got back home she was pretty tough to put down and hated her crib (she acted like it was a torture chamber all of a sudden!) and refused to take any naps for us last weekend..jason even drove her around in the car for an hour to get her to sleep! i was convinced she was sick again, she has just been a great sleeper for so long now! on monday we took her to the dr and he said everything was a-ok. hm...didn't help solve my problem with the sleep issues. after talking with some people we decided she just might be done with her crib. but i thought i might just give it another try and see..that night she cried non stop, no calming down, for an hour and 10 min. so i went and got her and put her in her bed and slept with her...it took her a while to get adjusted but she feel asleep and was up around 5-6x, the next night jason slept with her, and then wed night i slept with her again.

at this point she was getting adjusted to the bed but i knew we needed to make some more steps..we tried the safety locks on the doors which she FREAKED about, among a ton of other things and have decided to go with the super nanny techniques. thursday night we sat on the floor in her room and just put her back in bed every time she jumped out..this took about 200x until she decided she was going to stay in there. then we just sat there and did not respond or make eye contact until she went to bed...i think this took around 3 hours..she was then up at 1 and it took about 3 more hours to get her down again. then up at around 6ish for the day..

fri night it was MUCH better...it took around 2 hours to get her down but she was staying in bed and she slept until 5..and then slept for about another 45 min..

sat night again MUCH easier to put down..she was asleep by 8:30 or so...she would tell us to sit and point over by the door..so she was not concerned with us in the bed anymore... she was up at 1, which took a little while to go to sleep..i got back in my bed at around 3:45 and then she was up at 6...
nap didn't go so well but she took about an hour long one before lunch in car on our way to rogers.

so tonight we will move to sitting out in the hall...so i'm hoping that will be a smooth transition!
we just put her down for her nap in about 10 min!!!!!!! the easiest one so far! yea!

i would LOVE to brag on my husband for a little bit.. Jason has been so so good with all of this. he has been such a huge help and so very patient. he read the book that we are following and knows all the drills...i don't know how i would have done it without him...i had to take several breaks because my back was broken from sleeping on her floor for several nights...and he was such an EXPERT! :) thanks jason and love ya!

no pics because we have lost the battery charger for our camera...in the meantime i am cleaning out the entire house looking for it! i have done my bathroom and the office so far! feels so good!
and thanks to everyone who has listened to the sleep issues and helped with such great encouragement..even the director at liza's school sent me home with a cot that they sleep on there and everything that goes with it and a big pep talk...so sweet! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

During some of our parenting stages that were difficult, Dad would always say, "They're smart - they'll figure it out eventually." And all of you did. I'm not saying it was always easy to get through. It's much harder from my angle now knowing you and Jason are struggling with sleep and working the next day. Besides that, I'm afraid this all started during her visit to Springfield. Guilt! You both are doing a great job of parenting! Love, Coco

Anonymous said...

I see that the month of January has gone by and I've missed part of it! Just checked the old posts and read the one about Matthew and McCoy. Even though I knew this new baby boy's name, your history and memories brought tears to my eyes. You are right, Kate, you all adored Matthew and Jason and they you. Such a perfect cousins story. I do believe in angels guarding us. Matthew will be busy and happy watching over this precious namesake. Plus all those John McCoy's watching over him, too. How lucky is this precious baby! Your written thoughts give me so much pleasure. (And, yes, Liza and I had a ball in Springfield this month. Outside was so much fun and, of course, Liza loved playing with Cricket and her best friend Baron, too). Love, Mom

Sarah said...

Oh Kate... I bet you are so worn out! Thank goodness you have Jason! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help... work stuff, errands, etc. You need to get some sleep! Thinking of you..

Kelly said...

I know how hard this is. I have been through it with Lucy and Annie keeps us up all night. Sleep deprivation will make you absolutely crazy. You and Jason are doing an awesome job! That fact that she went down for nap today in 10 minutes is proof that it is working. This is obviously a big change for them and it takes time. Staying patient and energetic is the hardest part. I know you guys are doing so well with her and it is great that Jason is there doing so much. So helpful! I know I have told you this, but Lucy literally woke up in the middle of the night one night in her crib hysterical. She would not settle down while we were in her room. That night we started her in her new room on the big bed. I tried several times to get her back in her crib, and she was so adamant about not sleeping in there, so we listened to her and made the transition. It wasn't a smooth transition, but it was something that had to be done and she sleeps great now. Love you and I hope we all get some sleep soon!!

Anonymous said...

I told you super nanny knows what she's talking about! Sounds like you guys are working it out, but if it gets bad again I will sign you up for the show. That would be awesome.

Hope you get some sleep soon--

Sleep little Zaza!

Love, Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, I think we need to chat...Davidson did this exact same thing about 6 weeks before Lilly was born. I thought I was going to lose my mind and I couldn't fathom dealing with him and a new baby. Never fear, he got better, just in the nick of time and now it is all a blur just like the newborn days are. Hang in there! She will adjust, but her little world is changing and I am convinced they have a sixth sense that sends them into a panic prior to these babies arriving. Good luck! Oh, and I love baby McCoy's name...It game me chill bumps as I was reading it sitting here in Matthew's old house. I wish I could have known him, I feel like maybe in a small way I do. Laura :)